Low – Calorie, Low – Carb Fajita Boats.
Try my low-kcal, low-carb twist on the traditional fajita using lettuce leaves instead of wraps to create delicious and nutritious fajita boats! My super quick fajita recipe is a feast of flavours and colours making it one of the healthiest and easiest Mexican dishes of all time.
As I mention in my recipes page, making healthier substitutes should never mean skimping out on flavour and that’s what I’ve tried to ensure with this creation.
- 400 g chicken mini fillets (Muscle food)
- 1 red onion – sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 peppers – sliced (red & yellow taste best)
- 1 tin black beans (drained)
- 1 sachet smoky fajita seasoning (Old el paso)
- 2 romaine lettuce heads
- 50g reduced fat cheese
- 4 tbsp chunky red salsa
- 4-5 sprays of low-cal spray (we use fry light)
- Salt and pepper to taste/ season
Macros per serving.
306 kcal/ 34g P/ 32g C/ 4g F
- Heat a large frying pan on a low-to-medium heat, cover with low cal spray.
- Slice the red onion and add to the pan with the minced garlic.
- Slowly fry until soft.
- Add the chicken, and cook until brown.
- Increase the heat, and add in the peppers.
- Once the peppers have softened, and the chicken is fully cooked, stir in the drained black beans.
- Once the mixture starts to stick to the pan, reduce the heat, adding a splash of water if necessary.
- Add in the fajita seasoning, and simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tear the large lettuce leaves and rinse well.
- Place the leaves onto a plate, and equally split the fajita mixture into each of the boats.
- Serve with cheese and salsa, adding any seasoning if necessary.
Give this delicious and nutritious recipe a go and if you do make any of the other recipes featured, post and tag me on Instagram. I’d love to be able to see some of my homemade creations appear elsewhere!