Chicken Puttanesca with Rice & Spinach.
I love this chicken Puttanesca dish for so many reasons. Firstly, it uses up quite a few cupboard staples e.g. chopped toms, olives and dried herbs. Secondly, it is ready in just over half an hour and thirdly, it’s a great one for meal prepping because it can made in large batches.
I have always been a huge olive fan, and a good Puttanesca is one of my favorite sauces because it tastes great with almost everything. The tomato base sauce means it can be eaten with almost any form of protein; chicken, tuna etc, and the olives, onions, peppers and garlic (you can add in capers, but I’m not a fan so I omit these!) add a saltiness which I think is just delicious.
Usually served with pasta, this is my take on a the traditional Puttanesca – served with chicken, rice on a bed of spinach. I hope you enjoy as much as I do!
- 600g Chicken breasts (Muscle food)
- 2 Onions – (diced)
- 1tsp Garlic (minced)
- 2 Peppers
- 1 Jar pitted black olives (drained)
- 1tsp Oregano
- 1tsp Basil
- 1tsp Garlic pepper
- 400g Chopped tomatoes
- 500g Microwave rice of your choice (I used long grain)
- 4-5 Sprays of low-cal spray (we use fry light)
- Salt and pepper to taste/ season
Macros per serving.
463 kcal/ 40g P/ 53g C/ 9g F/
- Heat a large frying pan on a low-to-medium heat, cover with low cal spray.
- Carefully dice the onion, add to pan with the minced garlic.
- Slowly fry the onion and garlic until the onion has softened.
- Add the chicken, and cook until brown.
- Increase the heat, and add in the peppers.
- Once the peppers have softened, and the chicken is fully cooked, add the drained black olives.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes – adding the oregano, basil and garlic pepper.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer for 12-15minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with prepared microwave rice, adding any extra seasoning if necessary.