Healthy & Hearty Chilli Con Carne.
Here’s my healthy spin on a spicy and hearty classic that doesn’t involve a slow-cooker or hours of prepping. Simple, tasty, healthy and coming in at less than 450 kcals, it’s become a weekly staple in our house!
A good chilli con carne is an easy sharing favourite, perfect for cooking in large quantities and utilises those cupboard spices meaning your food bill will probably be less than you’re expecting! Serve with rice and/or a big salad, its an easy mid-week winner!
- 400g 5% Lean beef mince (Muscle food)
- 1 Red onion – diced
- 1 Garlic clove
- 100g Button mushrooms – sliced
- 1 Tin red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 Tin plum tomatoes
- 1 Sachet chilli con carne mix (Old el paso)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 500g Microwave rice of your choice (we use Tesco pilau rice)
- 4-5 sprays of low-cal spray (we use fry light)
- Salt and pepper to taste/ season
Macros per serving.
444 kcal/ 34g P/ 54g C/ 8g F/
- Heat a large frying pan on a low-to-medium heat, cover with low cal spray.
- Carefully dice the red onion, add to pan with the minced garlic.
- Slowly fry the onion and garlic until the onion has softened.
- Increase the heat, add in the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add in the mince and cook quickly until brown, breaking down any large chunks with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the plum tomatoes – season with salt and pepper, and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture is bubbling, reduce the heat; add in the drained kidney beans, chilli mix and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring the chilli mixture to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture has thickened.
- Serve with prepared microwave rice, sprinkle with fresh coriander, adding any extra seasoning if necessary (I sometimes top mine with spinach for added volume!)
Give this delicious and nutritious recipe a go and if you do make any of the other recipes featured, post and tag me on Instagram. I’d love to be able to see some of my homemade creations appear elsewhere!