Cookie Dough Protein Bars.
Made using oat flour, almond butter, vanilla protein powder and topped with a silky smooth chocolate coating. These babies are Vegan AND gluten free!
The vegan aspect was a big one here. If you’re up to date with my Instagram, you’ll know that Bounce and As Nature Intended challenged me to try out veganism and I’d be lying I said I wasn’t skeptical.
A lot of my bakes contain chocolate, eggs, honey – all ingredients that aren’t vegan. And seeing as baking is one of my passions, I knew I’d HAVE to find something that was delicious, easy to make but still packed full of flavor.
Well, that’s how these came about! I love cookies, cookie dough and protein bars. BUT, protein bars are expensive and shop bought vegan cookies aren’t ‘that’ nice. So I saw it as a challenge.
There are a few reasons why this recipe is great. The top one being it requires ZERO cooking time.
Pop everything into a bowl, press the dough down, top with chocolate, whack it in the freezer then wait! The longer they’re kept in the freezer, the better but I’d suggest 2 hours at a minimum.
I added a sprinkling of sea salt at the last minute and I’m so glad I did! It might sound a bit weird, but it adds SO much flavor and cuts through the sweetness!
Makes 12 bars.
For the Base:
- 220g Oats
- 48g Free Soul Vanilla Vegan Protein Powder
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- 113g Maple Syrup
- 120g Meridian Almond Butter
- 60ml Alpro Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For The Topping:
- 85g Lindt Dark Chocolate
- 1 tbsp Vita Coco Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Meridian Almond Butter
- Sprinkling of sea-salt for topping
- Line a square baking tray.
- Place the oats into a blender and blitz until you get a fine flour.
- Place oat flour, protein powder and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add maple syrup, almond butter, almond milk and vanilla.
- Mix until you have a dough.
- Using wet hands, press into tray.
- Make the chocolate coating by placing dark chocolate, coconut oil and almond butter into the microwave at twenty second intervals for about a minute.
- Pour chocolate over base and spread evenly.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours before slicing into 12 bars.
- Top with a sprinkling of salt.
They’ll keep your soul happy and your tummy satisfied!